- Whey is separated milk. It can be up to 90% protein from cows. This depends on the separation process or isolate verses concentrated. Some of us choose to not drink whole milk- for its fat content, and then use a whey powder. This makes no sense, because it’s the same stuff. Whey is also basically the base for cheese. Don’t get me wrong, milk and cheese aren’t bad in totality; but if we are so interested in keeping low body fat, maybe this isn’t the way or the WHEY…
- With all that being said, milk/whey is linked to tons of negative side effects in adults. I do feel that kids may need it for a part of their lives. There is nothing better than human milk from humans for humans and our growth. Don’t tell the USDA and their advertising budget this.
- Heavy metals can be found in high quantities in many whey products. Who wants arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury in their blood streams? Cows take in a good part of the fertilizers that is put in the fields. Studies have found the same products coming through in our nutritional supplements.
- Plants tend to hold better sources of lean protein by percentage. Maybe this is in theory, but have you ever seen a fat vegan? With all this craze in getting our fats and oils from healthy nuts and real plant based oils, it only makes sense to also use plant based supplements.
- Contrary to popular belief, many plant proteins do contain essential amino acids, but possibly in slightly lesser values than the whey counterparts.
Thank you for reading please comment and discuss this topic.
Coach Kevin Lee